Monday, May 7, 2012

Opinion: Visiting Ettiquette

 

MEGU Visiting Ettiquette

With SO many ways to interact with other MEGUers nowadays, how do we know if someone is being rude or just ignorant? Generous or just stupid? You can pet MEGU, give them food or furniture, or you can write on their chalkboards! Back in my day you could barely do all that for your own MEGU, let alone a neighbor's! The new problem present in Modern MEGU, is that every owner is different! Seriously, you just can't please everyone in this game all at the same time. So here are my tips to at least make you seem like a good neighbor (state farm is there!):


1. The Greeting.

When I first walk in, I always pet their MEGU once or twice--that way I can be sure that I didn't forget! It's those two whole seconds of your visit that make their MEGU's diary entry look very warm! Simply because you took the time! (Even though I usually furiously swipe across MEGUs like a madman or a rapist, but, in reality, no matter what you do, you can only pet a MEGU so quickly haha!

2. The Socializing.

GO TO THIER BOARD IF THEY HAVE ONE! I never ever gift right away! Look at their board, see if they're interested in any items you have, then go ahead and mention you have it and say something like, "Enjoy this appletart in the meantime! :)" Also, it is very difficult to get feelings across in MEGU. Trust me I know. Anything you say could be taken as rude or mean--IF you don't use smileys! No kidding, I've seriously found that the more well-placed smileys, the better MEGU relationships.

3. The Gift.

This is actually really easy for me guys. Most of the time, I gift food.

Food:

It makes thier MEGU level up, it gives you extra friendship for giving a food, it's easier to buy in masses and it's just cheaper. Seriously guys, I visit a LOT of MEGU everyday--how could I ever be able to give Chocolate Fondue to every single owner??? I couldn't! BUT I managed 300 days, with an average of 550,000 gold at all times, while also being revered as generous and kind. You know how? I gave freaking apple tarts to as manu people as I wanted every other day! Apple tarts are yumminess-carbo balanced, so it's giving as much to the neighbor, as you're getting giving it to them! Trippy, huh? Lol. They're not so great just one at a time, but added all up it makes perfect sense. PLUS it's not a super cheap food, so you don't seem like a jerk, and it's not so expensive that you go broke. You still can't go crazy with it, but every other day and a lot of understanding friends will do the trick and everyone ends up happy!

Furniture:

Don't do it. Don't gift furniture unless you've discussed some sort of trade, or you have an honest-to-goodness gift for them. When I see people's boards who say, no food only furniture, (even if they say please!) I grind my teeth. To me it sounds like, "I don't want your help I just want your money!" But that's just me and my morals lol.

What do you think? What's polite and what's rude? What bothers you? What makes you smile? Do you even use the Diary? I'm rather curious now guys!
Thank you Deathman for your suggestion on my chalkboard! I really appreciate it and that was so awesome of you to do so!
Until next time!

9 comments:

  1. I'll add some things from "Limea's ettiquette" XD

    1)Greeting
    If I visit someone for the first time I usually pet them a bit more than others. If I visit someone who seems to be nice but doesn't have chalkboard I pet as many times as possible ^^
    And when it comes to some of the users who I've known for the longest - I don't really count if I pet their pet or not. I concentrate on the chalkboard messages and use my seconds for those XD

    If someone visits me, writes (a) long message(s) to me and doesn't pet my pet I won't mind about them not petting my pet. If someone visits, doesn't write but pets my megu many times I'll visit. If someone visits but doesn't pet, gift or write I rarely visit them back - I have like 100 megu friends through twitter and another amount of people who visit me but aren't following me on twitter. I simply don't have time DX

    2)Boards are nice! And smileys =) I can't really say anything about my etiquette on writing.. well here's some opinions of mine:

    - Write in the most clearest way possible so that people get what you mean, you can use slang or such if you know that the other person will understand you. People in megu are from many different countries, and some of them don't have English as their native language.

    - You can write long messages and many messages if a) you know the person well b)the person writes long messages to you [or to others] c)you can see from the person's board that they regularly get long messages.
    Some people may get offended if they get long messages or many messages.

    - Do NOT send real spam. I "spam", but my "spam" isn't real spam. What I call "spam" is random messages which I send to my best megu friends, the messages contain some info, jokes or stuff like that. I may spent like 20 min - 2 h on someone's board XD Anyway after I had started doing "spam" some other people started doing real spam, they were trying to show their love like me but it ended up kinda stupid when they'd send messages like "SPAMSPAMSPAM ^^" or "message number 121, message number 122" or so.

    - Don't send the same message to everyone unless it's somekindof invitation or such. If you send "I GOT A CAT I IS SO HAPPY" to every single person you visit, at some point atleast someone will be annoyed because of you.

    - If you send an invitation to all your friends, please please oh please add the timezone next to the time & date! Don't write it just like "tomorrow 2pm". Not everyone lives on the same timezone with you. Not everyone even knows on which timezone area you live in.

    - Please don't send a billion "hi"s and "hello"s to a person who hasn't yet visited you. They will notice you at some point, and come for a visit. They may be busy or something. Atleast don't send "hi"s every single hour =____=

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (continues)

      3) The gift

      Furniture gifts are okay, if you have too much of some item it's ok to give it away. However I recommend gifting store buyable furnitures to low-level users, because someone who is on lvl 220 won't have any use for 253 fire extinguishers. Rare items are usually highly appriciated as gifts, but it is better to give those for the players whom you know well.

      But if you're thinking of buying some store item as a gift for someone, don't do it unless you know they want it. You can buy lots of food with those golds anyway, and food is often better choice.


      Also, these aren't really "ettiquette", atleast I'm not sure if they are...

      but PLEASE if you make an account, use it for a month and then stop playing with it and make a new one - delete the old one!!! Having all those 100 dead accounts on one's twitter friends list is not really nice.

      and PLEASE if you have multiple accounts, it would be fair to mention to others you're just one person -_____- If you add someone on twitter and they find that there's 20 accounts connected to your twitter and still on every single account you're acting like it'd be your only account, you ask for trades all the time and all that... Well then if the person you've added has got enough brains they don't want to be friends with you =____="

      Delete
    2. Woah this ended up quite long DX I. have. no. life. XD

      Delete
    3. AWWWWWW you're so cute lol I totally agree with pretty much all of that--This comment was probably from that day I woke up and had like 12 email notifications of new comments on the blog! XD

      Delete
  2. HEY EVERY1 LOOK ITS ME UP THERE!!!
    >>Also 'please' & 'thankyouz' R nice. I'v had so many meguers say "Send me sofa" or "Can I have highest level furniture?" I kno theyr probably 9 or sumthin but 'please' aint hard to write!! I normally send the item anywayzzz coz i like helpin poor foolz!!
    <<<Also read peoplez ENTIRE MSG! So many timez i write a long msg & only get a reply about 1 bit of it. i guess its hard 2 remember all o what sum1 sez...
    in the end i spose u just gotta treat othaz th way u wanna b treatd & try not to b so sensitive(like me!!) Yeeeeaaaa Booooiiiii!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES. And you know, that second part is so true--I used to memorize what I was going to reply on your board with because there were always so many questions and speculations XD You're so cool dude, thanks for asking! I wish more people would give me more ideas like yours haha

      Delete
  3. ^^^ps`~THATZ ME; DEATHMAN!!^^^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know about anyone else, but I totally knew :P

      Delete
  4. I have a few suggestions, some of those things I don't like I actually do myself, so I'm working on that xD

    I have a SUPER bad habit of not leaving messagaes. I don't really pay attention to my diary (another bad habit) so I don't visit those who don't leave messages. I know some meguers don't like it when people don't leave a message, and I understand that. Sometimes Puff gets greedy and only visits for leveling up, which I know is cruel, so I don't do that anymore.

    I also think It's easier to socialize and get along with people who are open to talk about anything and bring up different subjects.

    In my opinion, it can be rude or annoying (depends on what you're saying) if you type in all caps because it seems like you're yelling. Typing in caps lock can be suitable if you're happy about something, excited, etc.

    I agree with Limea on spamming. I don't know if I have done an annoying spam, but friendly "spamming" to most megu users is entertaining and funny, but leaving long blank messages on someone's board is irritating.

    I think it's very rude to copy someone without their permission on megu. For instance, if you say something on your board and someone posts the exact same thing on their board, isn't that annoying? Maybe it's just me, but I've experienced situations where people did that to me, and I've had more than enough of it. I think I could say that this is the thing I dislike most about the megu community.
    I admit I did copy someone on megu a long long long while ago, but she was nice enough to forgive me, and now I look back at it as me being disrespectful and inconsiderate.(wait... don't they mean the same thing??) xD

    Okay now I'm doneeee... that was a lot and I hope that this didn't get too long xD

    ReplyDelete

Dear Reader and potential Commenter,
I've made it so that anyone can comment. Please respect that! Be appropriate and considerate. We'd all love to hear from you!
When posting, please mention your MEGU username and petname at the very beginning of your post.
I'm very thankful for the support--keep visiting!
From,
Just George